End of US highway 94

View a map showing this route.

Photo credits: Justin Cozart; Robert Droz; Andy Field; Mike Heidenreich; Gene Janczynskyi; Karin and Martin Karner; Robert Mortell; Alex Nitzman; Greg Osbaldeston; and Dan Moraseski submitted the photos from FDoT.

Approx. time period East terminus West terminus
1926-1949 Miami, FL Naples, FL

(NOTE: this page also documents US 41's current Miami endpoint, as well as US 1's historic Miami endpoint.)

US 94 was an original 1926 highway. There was a good reason for its existence: the road from Naples to Miami is east-west, so it was proper to assign it an east-west number. Originally there were three US routes serving southern Florida, forming a "U" shape in the lower peninsula. US 1 went south to its original endpoint in Miami, which was also the east beginning of US 94. That route went west to Naples - its endpoint there was at the same place where US 41 began. And US 41 went north from Naples, serving Florida's Gulf Shore.

In 1938, US 1 was extended southward from Miami, but that didn't affect US 94's endpoint in Miami. It wasn't until 1950 that the US 94 designation was decommissioned, and US 41 was extended from Naples east to Miami along the former US 94. (My understanding is that segment of US 41 was originally signed "East" and "West", but now US 41 is signed east-west only in Miami/Dade County.) The photo below is looking east on 8th Street at Brickell Avenue (or US 1) in Miami:

Osbaldeston, Mar. 2001

Since that's a one-way street, there's an identical assembly on the opposite side of the road as well:

Field/Nitzman, Dec. 2003

That intersection is also the historic east end of US 94, and to the left on Brickell is the original south beginning of US 1. (Today 8th is one-way eastbound, so now the "west" beginning of US 41 is at 7th Street, one block to the left.) Back when US 94 existed, the signage probably looked more like this:

Florida DoT's photolog system, 1994

Note the color of the shields: that's because Florida further differentiated their highways with color until quite recently - as a matter of fact, there are still a few remnants around (to learn more about this, please visit Robert Droz' Florida in Kodachrome page). In the photo below, the faded paint on the sign had rendered it pretty much illegible, but it was the first US 41 marker heading west from US 1:

Florida DoT's photolog system, 1994

Back to modern signage: here's a view of what the east beginning of US 41 looks like, as seen from northbound US 1:

Cozart/Nitzman, Mar. 2006

US 41 begins to the left on 7th, while straight ahead was the original south beginning of US 1. The sign in the median at far left is a little hard to see, but there's an identical one across the street, on the right side of the road:

Karners, Dec. 2009

That also represents the historic east beginning of US 94, although back when it existed, 8th St carried both directions of traffic. If you turn that way, you'll immediately see the first westbound confirming marker:

Karners, Dec. 2009

After a few miles, that direction begins to be signed as "North", and that remains the case for the rest of the 2000-mile journey to Lake Superior along the second-longest north/south US route (you can get more information on my main US 41 page).


The west end of US 94 was in Naples. The photo below shows the current signage at the former terminus:

Droz, Oct. 2001

That's looking west on 5th Avenue South. The US 94 designation used to end there, and to the right (north on 9th Street South) was the south beginning of US 41. Robert had a custom historic US 94 shield manufactured, and then he had the sign temporarily posted at the historic terminus:

Droz, Oct. 2001

Please view Robert's page for more photos and info. Below is an enlargement of the sign assembly:

Droz, Oct. 2001

The distinctive building in the photos above is partially visible at far right in both shots below; here we're looking south on 9th St:

Mortell, Aug. 2009

Perhaps there was once an "End US 41" assembly there. At any rate, it was once US 94 that began to the left ahead on 5th Av. US 41 was extended to the left in 1950, replacing US 94. That signage is somewhat recent; here's what it looked like until at least 2003:

Janczynskyi, Nov. 2000

(Click one of these links if you'd like to go back to either the main US 1 page or the main US 41 page.)